Thursday, October 13, 2011

Light up a candle for Mogwai by Katrina Buganan



Fact: Kids these days like to go out clubbing.



I don't understand this trend at all. They barely sleep, instantly lose ten pounds by dancing and drink until alcohol runs in their bloodstream. What is it about clubbing anyway?
Personally, I'm the kind of person who prefers to stay home and read. But, I will not deny that I do like to go out once in a while. Just not in the way that I have stated earlier.

Enter: Mogwai.
Mogwai is a bar, a cinema, cafĂ© and restaurant all rolled into one. It was a great hang-out located at Cubao X, owned by Erik Matti and Lyle Sacris. The place was never empty because everyone always had someone when you’re at Mogwai. So cozy you would feel right at home.
Unfortunately, two months ago, news about the Cubao X favorite had started to spread all over the internet and the newspapers. The sentiments of the people were divided. For the mainstream set, it was something to be happy about. For those who hold Mogwai near and dear to their heart, it was a tragedy.
I speak for the latter.
Mogwai was a lot of things for the artsy set. It was a place for cheap beer, chilling with old friends and meeting new ones. It was a place for breaking news both good and bad, a spot for where film and food buffs would congregate.
Robin Benitez posted on Twitter: “Para akong nawalan ng kaibigan nung nagsara ang Mogwai.”
It’s always depressing to see a friend go. My memories of Mogwai are a mishmash of fond times made from random nothing nights or hours of acting goofy with friends. To cite a specific instance would defeat the purpose of having the time of your life with its recollections. You simply go to Mogwai to kcik back and relax.
Although mushy and indie do not mix, I can still say that if you have been there, Mogwai surely helped magnify all your wishes and dreams. Pray that you can find another place to dream a little dream, in your own little corner of the world.
I admit I’ve taken Mogwai for granted. I believed it would always be around to the point that I’d sometimes pass on meeting friends because I didn’t feel like it. I walked past it when I went to Cubao X, without bothering to stop. If I had known the end was near, I would have gone there more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hostgator Discount Code